LA Kings Ryan Getzlaf

Credit: Alex Cave / Hockey Royalty

Farewell, Ryan Getzlaf.

For the final time ever last night, the LA Kings played against Getzlaf, as he plays his final NHL game tonight against the St. Louis Blues. Sorry, Ryan, you don’t get the bragging rights here, as the Kings rallied to a 4-2 victory, basically solidifying their spot in the 2022 postseason.

While not mathematically clinched, the Kings sit seven points ahead of the Vegas Golden Knights and play two non-playoff teams for their final two games this season. It’s hard to envision a scenario where this team falls short of the postseason with the cards they’ve been dealt.

The Kings received goals from Arthur Kaliyev, Matt Roy, Alexander Edler, and Alex Iafallo while surrendering goals to Trevor Zegras and Gerry Mayhew.

Jonathan Quick saved 19 of 21 shots, good for a .905 save percentage and 0.39 GSAx, posting decent stats despite that blunder of a goal that he allowed.

“It’s definitely amazing, we’ve worked all year for this and we’re where we want to be. Win and you get in. You don’t want to leave it up to anyone else, it’s a great feeling in the locker room,” forward Quinton Byfield said in the post-game.

“We’ve kind of felt that way for a few weeks now. Every game has been a huge game for us, it’s just kind of felt like that, one game, let’s just get that one game. We’ve been chipping away and it’s nice to be in that spot,” defenseman Matt Roy said.

Three takeaways:

1. Kaliyev’s multi-point effort in eventful individual game

Arthur Kaliyev came out with his second multi-point effort of the season, registering a goal and an assist through 11:58 of time-on-ice. It’s great to see a young player like him get involved when the stakes are as high as they were.

Kaliyev’s game was also eventful for… other reasons. He was given a major penalty and game misconduct following a cross-check on Josh Mahura, which will likely be reviewed by the league at the bare minimum.

2. Quick extends win streak

With his win last night, Jonathan Quick has improved his win streak to five games, the first time he’s strung five straight wins together since the 2019-20 campaign (Feb. 15-Mar. 9).

While he allowed a brutal goal, he still got the win, and that’s all that matters in the end.

Nice time to get hot, too, eh?

3. Playoffs are all but confirmed

As I mentioned earlier, the playoffs are all but confirmed for Los Angeles at this point.

According to MoneyPuck, there is a 99.2% chance of the LA Kings making the postseason at this point and just a 0.8% chance that they don’t. I’m not a mathematician, but I like those odds.

It’ll just be a waiting game for LA, but I think fans can start getting ready to purchase their tickets.

The Kings are back at it on Wednesday in Seattle for the first leg of a back-to-back to close out the regular season.

(Main photo credit: Alex Cave / Hockey Royalty)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *